Sweat is one method the body uses to detoxify itself of toxins. For people suffering from a chronic condition like Candida, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or Heavy Metal Toxicity, it can actually be very therapeutic. Sweat refreshes the skin, kills viruses, and boosts the immune system. Sweating daily can help reduce the body’s accumulation of heavy metals such as lead, mercury, and nickel. Unfortunately, most people attempt to avoid sweat through the use of antiperspirants, air conditioning, and avoiding vigorous exercise altogether, all of which limit the body’s ability to detoxify.

If you are suffering from chronic health conditions, you may not have the stamina to exercise hard or long enough to work up a good sweat. Another method to induce sweat is a sauna. Saunas, like Far Infrared Saunas, provide an alternative to exercise enabling you to incorporate sweating—and therefore detoxification—into your normal routine. Time spent in a sauna is comparable to brisk walking or jogging. However, time in the sauna should not replace exercise entirely.

The following are several examples of the effects of sweating:

  • Toxic Waste Removal – While relaxing in a sauna, amazing things are taking place inside the body. The capillaries dilate, the pulse speeds up, and the blood pressure drops slightly as the blood rushes to the skin and away from the organs to draw the heat away from the skin. Impurities in the liver, kidneys, stomach, muscles, brain, and most other organs are flushed out by the increased flow of juices as their metabolic processes speed up. In only 15 minutes of sauna use, it is typical to lose nearly a quart of sweat. Although 99% of the sweat is water, the other 1% is waste products that would have otherwise taken 24 hours to be removed, if at all, by the kidneys.
  • Immune System Boost – A sauna induces a fever-like state in the body. The temperature of your skin may rise up to 10 degrees, but your inner temperature will only raise a maximum of three degrees. Most viruses and harmful bacteria cannot survive these increased temperatures and are thus destroyed. The heat also increases the number of white blood cells in the blood which are beneficial to the immune system. It is also thought that damaged cells repair themselves more quickly under these fever-like conditions.
  • Hormone Stimulation – The rise in the body’s temperature from sweating also affects the function of the hormonal system. The pituitary gland is known as the “master gland” because its hormones regulate both metabolism and the activity of other glands. When the temperature rises, the pituitary accelerates the body's metabolism which is especially beneficial for those who have sluggish hormone production.

After sweating, whether from a sauna or exercise, the body’s temperature and functions will gradually return to their normal state. It is important to drink enough fluids to replace those that have been lost. Through regular sweating, most people will enjoy better sleep, improved circulation, and healthier skin.

If using a sauna for the first time, do not overdo it. Start with 10 minutes at a moderate level, keeping the temperature under 90°C (194°F). Avoid any rapid changes from hot to cold or vice versa. WARNING: If you have a fever, serious respiratory problems, or an inflammatory disease, you should avoid the sauna completely. Check with your doctor if the use of a sauna would be healthy for your condition. Pregnant women should also check with their doctors before using a sauna.

Subpages (1): Exercise